Thursday, May 28, 2015

'When there is no War, Sharpen your Weapons'.

                           I am working as an Editor/Assistant Director in Punjabi film industry. Unlike Bollywood, our film industry is very small . Small not only in budget sense but less productions per year too. I have been part of this industry from last 8 years now and still can't consider myself as settled in the industry. The reason i see for this is that i have always wanted to be part of good projects & i have not done projects just for money. That is the reason that i have done much less number of projects than my fellow colleagues.

                           Some of my friends who started after me, have become directors now. I am not jealous of them. Because i think, the kind of films they are doing, shouldn't be called films. Most of the producers in Punjabi film industry are from Real Estate background who want to earn profits like they earn in real estate business. film industry doesn't work that way. The so called directors take advantage of this insensibility of the producers & become directors overnight. Thats why the success ratio of punjabi films is so poor. Directors in Punjabi film industry don't have good stories to tell, don't have good skills to execute a production. They just want to survive by making films, by making producers fool.

                           I too want to make a film some day. But i am in no hurry. I am going at my own pace & preparing myself fully to do a film. After all, Filmmaking is a big big responsibility. Till then, I am surviving by doing editing, working as A.D.

                           And for my own growth, i read, write, & sharpen my technical skills whenever i get time in between. I don't waste my energy in getting projects & marketing myself. I think, i may do less work in this way but, whenever i will make a film, it will be a good one.

                         The summers have arrived & there is very less shooting happening in punjab these days because of extreme weather. So i am making most of this time as i have started working on a script & reading some articles on filmmaking. I remember an old saying 'When there is no War, Sharpen your Weapons'. I am sharpening my weapon so that whenever there will be War, I win that War. 

2 comments: